Thursday, December 26, 2013

Killing David . . .

Chop,Chop was never intended to have sequels (the one or two reviews I’ve received that say the novel purposefully leaves things unfinished so that readers will be required to purchase the next books in the series amuse me because it is simply not true).

After I wrote books two and three, I knew I was finished. David had his hot tub, everything was great . . . it was a perfect place to end David’s story.

But as time went on I toyed with the idea of continuing the series. My mind immediately traveled through David’s life toward the end, and the natural turn of events was that he would lose Laci.

And I just couldn’t do that to him.

But, I thought, I could have Laci lose David . . . and the idea for Gone was born. I also immediately came up with the idea of having Tanner and Laci get together. I had not, at this point, developed a real relationship between Tanner and Laci in my mind, but the more I thought about it, the more perfect it seemed. I just had to get rid of Natalie (since the implication at the end of book 3 was that the two of them were going to wind up together).

In Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook, the main female character comes and goes between moments of being in the here and now and moments of being somewhere else. I’m not sure exactly how I came up with the idea of David developing early onset Alzheimer’s , but once I did, I remembered this aspect of The Notebook and thought that it would be neat to do that same thing through David’s eyes, thereby having the reader learn along with him what was going on.

I find it interesting that very few people ask me who David sees in the last scene of Gone – Greg or Jesus? Many Christian novelist do not capitalize He, Him, Who, etc., when talking about God, but I felt very strongly that I wanted to do so in my novels. David’s last words in Gone—“I see him”—let you know who David sees.

 
Finally, I am posting a review from Barnes and Noble that was left for Gone. Unlike Amazon (where I would be able to respond directly to the reviewer), B&N doesn’t allow me to leave a response. I have posted the following on myFacebook page, however, and am including it again here because I think it’s worth talking about.  Here is the review (as it was written) by an anonymous reviewer:

Well i loved this book but i do have something to say........

1. This series was absolutely amazing!!!!
2. I ( again) regard l.n. cronk as one of my favorite authors
3. With that being said i do have to make a point........my question is this?? Is jesus not the healer?? Isnt it a christians job to trust Him as the Healer? I was extremely dissapointed that l.n. cronks didnt incorporate having any faith that Jesus Christ can heal him of any sickness or disease.....i was extremely sad that after he found out he had alzehiemers he just kind of accepted it. Not once did he pray for healing or acknowledge jesuss as the healer. He just kind of decided that he was going to just allow it to happen to him. Thats just my opinion. Im sorry if that offends anyone. But the bottom line is that this book is still great and l.n. is a great author!!!!!!!!!!:D”

My response: First of all, no offense taken at all!! Thanks for the review and all of the positive comments. I just wish I could respond directly to you to explain why I choose the route I did. Here is my indirect response:
 
We all know that even Christians will suffer hardships in this life and that we are all going to die. Yes, God absolutely could have saved David from this disease, but that was not God’s will in this case. Now, the QUESTION that was asked, however, was why did David not at least ASK God to cure him? Indeed, David DID just accept this fate, not ask for healing, and decide that he was going to allow it to happen. So why did David respond this way (or, more specifically, why did I choose to have David respond this way?)

A general theme throughout the books has always been that God has a specific will for David’s life, David usually doesn’t like it, argues with God about it, tries to make things go his way, pleads with God, etc., etc., etc., and – in the end – David always realizes that God knew what He was doing and that His will is the best. In this book – and in this point in David’s life – David has finally matured to the point where he wants what God wants, and he realizes that this is God’s will.

I totally believe in a God who can cure anyone of anything at any time. Nothing is impossible for my God! I also believe that He loves it when we talk to Him and come to Him with our requests and thanksgivings. In this particular case, however, David was indeed going to die – no matter how he petitioned God. He chose make his requests about other things instead.

David’s desire is to handle it in a manner that God will be pleased with. This is summed up by the following passage from “Gone” – a passage that is so important, I chose to put on the back cover of the paperback version:

“Every time God does something in my life that’s not what I want,” I began carefully, “I always fight Him on it . . . right?”

She nodded.

“But eventually I figure out that He knew what He was doing and I can see how He was in control and everything and then finally, I come around, you know?”

She nodded again.

“But it usually takes me a really long time to get to that point,” I said. “Right?”

“Right.”

I looked at her for a moment.

“Well,” I finally said, quietly, “I don’t have a really long time anymore.”

She looked back at me and didn’t say anything. Her eyes started shining with tears.

I pulled her closer and went on.

“I just want to go ahead and jump right to that place where I realize how much God loves me and where I know that everything that’s happening is going to work to good. Do you know what I mean?”

She gave me a tiny nod.

“I want to be happy,” I said, squeezing her. “I want for us to be happy.”

She gave me a small smile.

“What do you say, Laci?” I asked, smiling back. “Do you want to be happy with me?”

She gave me a bigger nod and a bigger smile and then she wrapped her arms around me and buried her face against me.

 

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Oft times there is no harder prayer than "Thy will be done", and then in faith to leave your petition in God's hand and accept that He has a perfect plan for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marti - I couldn't have put it better myself!

      Delete
  2. Amen to the blog and Marti's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had FB acquaintances tell me I am not being cured of my illness because I am 1) not asking the Lord to heal me, and 2) not having the faith that He can heal me. In my case, I believe that the Lord has used my illness to help others; if not spiritually, then at least to help them learn about the illness itself. I furthermore to not believe that the Lord wishes to heal everyone; as you so well stated, it is HIS WILL, not mine or yours, and to Him BE the Glory in His Will! While I wish to keep myself anonymous as well as my own blog, as I have told you on Facebook, THANK YOU for your writing, for your Christian writing, and for your stands on and regards to your faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GopherGirl, for your encouraging comments and for your desire to continue to seek God's will above your own. My prayers continue to be with you! <3

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you've started a blog and this was an intresting blog post and i'm glad it's given me an understanding of the inspiration or reasoning behind the story line choices. Firstly i must say you are one of my favourite authors and Gone was a difficult book to read and it was a really brave decision to kill off David. In my household 3 of us started the series however the other 2 couldn't go on after david died because he was a much loved character. For me the one bit i found difficult about the series was tanner and laci getting together and as selfish as it sounds she would rather have got together with a stranger than davids best friend. Considering some of the jokes David made to tanner about tanner waiting for David to kick the bucket so he could have Laci all to himself and it was even sadder that it happened like that. No doubt Tanner waa a good friend but i couldn'r remove the image of him pinning after Laci all those years when she was with David and i felt it belittled the sanctity of David and Laci's relationship and it made me also question Laci's commitnent to David. Having said this i really enjoyed the series and have purchased the new books you have released and i'm looking forwad to reading them. Hopefully i'll also get to read bit when David was alive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I may have to do a post one day addressing some of this. Laci and Tanner both had to supress their feelings for one another throughout the years of David's marriage and did a pretty good job of it. "Remind Me" is a short story - told by Laci - and addresses a time when she didn't do such a good job. None of them are perfect - they are just very human. Like us, my characters do things that they should do and feel things that they shouldn't feel. I hope I have shown characters who are obedient, though, even when they desire to go against God's will (and when they DO go against God's will, they see the ramifications). Thanks again for your comment - many blessings!

      Delete
  5. Chop chop was a great series but Gone was a difficult one to read. 3 of us started the series from the beginning however the other 2 couldn't go on after gone as David was a very loved character. I also particularly found the 8th one difficult to read as i couldn't warm up to tanner and Laci and although Tanner was a good guy and friend i couldn't get the image of him pinning after Laci throughout David and Laci's marriage. I would have rather Laci got together with a stranger than Tanner it almost felt as if it was betrayal to David and that he was never Laci's great love but rather an order from God. Nontheless it wont stop me reading your new 2 bools which i've bought. I'm looking forward to some laci and David dialogue as minimal as it may be :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of people seem to miss is Tanner's deep love for BOTH David and Laci. He was always there putting his own heartache aside to be a true friend. His love for Laci did not undermine the sanctity of their marriage, rather the fact that IN SPITE OF his feelings he was always there for them and their children spoke volumes about his true character and if you read the entire series you cannot help but love him.

    ReplyDelete