Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Love Triangle

Yesterday someone anonymously commented on my "Killing David" post (I think the same person actually commented twice – if I’m wrong about that, forgive me). First of all, let me say that I LOVE talking about my books so I will never, ever be upset if someone tells me their thoughts – even if they don’t like something! You – as the reader – have the right to think whatever you want, like whatever you want, and dislike whatever you want!! If you are upset about something that happens in the books, that means that you are emotionally involved with the characters and – as an author – I count that as a success! If you post here, I am likely to comment back and let you know my opinions or tell you why I don’t agree with you or something like that. It is called having a conversation and is always done with a smile (at least on my end!). If someone posts something nasty or mean (I have had that happen in reviews), I will probably just delete your comment. But if you just want to have a good ol’ fashioned discussion about the books with me, let’s go!! I want to hear your opinions and I hope you want to hear mine!

So yesterday, this person (or possibly persons) stated that: “i couldn't warm up to tanner and Laci and although Tanner was a good guy and friend i couldn't get the image of him pinning after Laci throughout David and Laci's marriage. I would have rather Laci got together with a stranger than Tanner it almost felt as if it was betrayal to David and that he was never Laci's great love but rather an order from God.” In the other post it was worded slightly differently: “No doubt Tanner waa a good friend but i couldn'r remove the image of him pinning after Laci all those years when she was with David and i felt it belittled the sanctity of David and Laci's relationship and it made me also question Laci's commitnent to David.”

I would agree with you, overall. First of all, I would say that Laci and Tanner both had to constantly suppress their feelings toward one another throughout the years. They were attracted to one another and loved one another very much and the only reason they weren’t together is because Laci was being obedient to God and Tanner knew that if Laci wasn’t obedient to God that she wouldn’t be the woman he loved. I heard Lisa Whelchel (of Facts of Life and Survivor fame) on a radio broadcast years ago and she stated that God told her to that she was going to marry someone. She was not “on board” right away and did not have that chemistry and “those” feelings, but she was obedient and agreed to marry him. She said that those feelings did come and that she knew he was who she was supposed to be with (granted the two of them got divorced recently, but that was after many years and is a topic for a different blog).

Laci loved David, but she never felt that deep passion and chemistry that she did with Tanner. You can’t make yourself feel that for someone. But if you are feeling that for someone that you shouldn’t, you can ignore it. Like Lily reminds Marco in What I Want: You can’t stop birds from flying over your head, but that doesn’t mean you need to let them make nests in your hair. You can choose not to dwell on those thoughts. You can choose to not act on them. And that’s what Laci did and what Tanner did.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Love is a choice, and Laci chose to love David because she loved God. It’s the same thing Jordan did in Not Quickly Broken – he chose to love Charlotte even though he didn’t really feel like it. Marriage is about more than passion and chemistry. Marriage is about making the choice – every day – that you are going to love the person you are married to. When Laci was mad at David or worried about his fidelity to her, yes, she let herself think about Tanner, and yes, this was wrong. But Laci is human and she does wrong things. The only way I was able to let myself write from her point of view (in Remind Me) was to do it during a time in her life when she wasn’t all goody-two-shoes. My characters don’t always do right. They don’t always make the right choices.

Finally, I think that David always knew what Laci and Tanner had between them. It bothered him sometimes, but he was able to appreciate what God had given him and the sacrifice that both Laci and Tanner were making. He was able to be thankful for it instead of being upset about it (although he did waver there for a bit when he first found out about it). By the end, he knew that Tanner was going to be there for Laci. (I don’t think he knew he was going to die as early as he did and that Tanner and Laci were actually going to be able to get together) but he was okay with the fact that they loved each other because he knew they would never act on it inappropriately. He also knew how much they both loved him. As Laci said at the end of Alone, David loved both of them and would never want either of them to be alone.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on many aspects of this discussion. I believe with my whole heart that love is a choice and I can see that choosing to love David was a good choice in many ways. The things they accomplished together and the way they raised their family was amazing and all of that would have been different if Laci had chased after passion instead. Of course the romantic in me feels sad for David. He never got to experience that deep passionate attraction and love that Laci had with Tanner. I would have loved for Laci to develop a passionate love for David. With that said I love the fact that your stories show that a person can choose to do the right thing even when they don't feel like it. Laci and Tanner chose to do the right thing by not acting on their passions. David chose the right thing by loving and accepting Laci as the woman God gave him even though I'm sure he knew she didn't feel that passion for him. God ultimately blessed them and many others through them because of those choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I was stunned, I believe, when I realized that Laci loved Tanner more deeply (?) - not sure how to state it - than David, but was happy that Tanner was there for her in the end. I think another piece that played into that, though, was the fact that, to me, Tanner did not have the same relationship with the Lord until later in his life, so it did not make sense for he and Laci to be joined as man and wife. Then again (just writing my thoughts), David really needed Laci; and that took a really good friend, i.e., Tanner, to realize that. It was somewhat difficult for me to read the book on Tanner where he tried so many different ways to forget about Laci; but the truth was there nonetheless, and that's what I like about your characters: they are flawed, just as we are; and I love it when they trust their entire beings to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing a post on this.
    The two post thing was a mistake as i thought the first one hadn't published.I now understand where you were coming from although i still feel sad for David and would probably find it difficult to read about Laci and Tanner together in the future. Having said this i hope you are not offended by my comments as you are an exceptional writer. Although people in my household and those i shared the story with did not warm up to the tanner storyline , 99% of your readers did. And as a writer you can't please everyone. Many Blessings for 2014 and i look forward to more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not offended AT ALL!! Thankful for your comments and interaction. You're right about both things: I can't please everyone all the time, and most people were rooting for that to happen. I totally get where you are coming from. BTW - when people post, I have to approve them first before they get published, that's why your first one didn't show up right away. I hope you have a wonderful new year!! Many, many blessings to you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, Alone, is probably my favorite book in the series... it's really really great, and I *love* Tanner. Something about him I just click with.
    The "love triangle" to me, is a great reminder that God's will is always best, and what He deems important is often different than what we deem important.
    Laci may not have had the same passion with David as she did with Tanner, but God gave her a very good man in David. A loving and faithful man. A man whom she could best bring glory to God with. And she got to be best friends with Tanner all throughout life. I think that's pretty special.

    ReplyDelete